What is the Libido?
The word libido simply refers to the sex drive of a woman or man, or the willingness and urge to engage in sexual intercourse, and there are many factors that affect its viability. So if you’ve found yourself to be lacking the urge to have sex and looking to remedy the situation, this is the right post for you.
Why do some people have low libido?
The factors behind the lack of sex drive are quite numerous. Sex drive in women could fluctuate due to various situations and emotional state of a woman. Some of the noted causes are; beginning or end of a relationship, stress, pregnancy and menopause, illnesses and medications for mood disorders, such as anxiety and depression.
When low Libido’s are caused by serious mental or emotional distress such as depression and anxiety, then it is advised to seek medical advice from a professional. But if you’re looking to spice up your relationship with more frequent sexual intercourse, then proceed with the article.
Foods that can boost your libido
Sex being the oldest practice known to mankind has been a subject of research for thousands of years, and as such, several cultures have proposed solutions through food as well as herbs.
- Oysters: Oysters increase libido because they contain more zinc than any other food consumed by man. Zinc increases blood flow and also improves the testosterone level in men, and also improves male fertility. Oysters were known to be natural aphrodisiacs in many cultures around the world for centuries
- Salmons: Being rich in Omega-3 fatty acids, known for their benefits for a healthy heart and brain cells are a most have in your diet if your intent to keep an active, healthy sex life. Alongside Salmons, fishes like Tuna, sardines are also useful in this regard. Its major use is proper regulation of the circulatory system, which prevents diseases that impair sexual functions.
- Nuts: Nuts such as the common peanut and cashew nuts are rich omega-fatty acids and zinc which offers similar benefits to salmons and oysters. But more importantly are cheaper and easier to come by. In local settings here in Nigeria, a combination of tiger nuts, coconuts and peanuts blended together has gained fame for being the remedy for erectile dysfunction and premature ejaculation.
- Watermelon: As the only fruit addiction to the list, watermelon is an underappreciated fruit when it comes to its health benefits. Watermelon contains citrulline, which is an amino acid that helps to increase nitric oxide in the body. Nitric oxide helps to expand blood vessels, which increases blood flow and lowers blood pressure. A healthy heart is the basis of a good sex life.
Herbs that increase libido
- Ginkgo Biloba: Fan shaped leaves from an ancient tree thought to be one of the oldest living trees on earth. Ginkgo benefits range from memory improvement to proper blood circulation. Ginkgo has been used to treat many severe conditions such as Alzheimer disease, anxiety and premenstrual syndrome (PMS). But its benefit to the heart through improved blood circulation makes it a good supplementary herb for treating erectile dysfunction in men and low libido in women.
- Red ginseng: Ginseng is a very old Chinese herb, which has been used for thousands of years for treatments of heart disease. But the most unspoken benefit of the red ginseng might be is aphrodisiac effect. Red ginseng increases sexual arousal and overall sexual pleasure between partners. Also regarded as natures Viagra, the red ginseng, benefits both men and women, and is perfect for improving sexual mood and high libido.
- Fenugreek: Known to some people as the Greek hay, Fenugreek is a herb of numerous health benefits. Some of which are reduced blood sugar, boosting testosterone and increasing milk production in breastfeeding mothers. For a woman’s sexual health, Fenugreek cures issues like vagina dryness, a known condition that leads to painful sex, improves libido and sexual pleasure. In men, Fenugreek increases sex drive, and cures erectile dysfunction.
Workout routines and exercises that increases libido
- Kegels: Kegel exercises help strengthen the vaginal walls, improve vaginal lubrication and increase blood flow into the genitals. They are highly recommended for women who are suffering from urinary incontinence. A condition that causes sudden unexpected urine leakage.
- Weight Lifting: For men, weight lifting increases the heart rate and thus pumps blood throughout the veins and blood vessel, including the blood vessels in the sex organs. This increase in blood flow energizes the sex organs and increases libido.
- Yoga: People who do yoga are seen as people with healthy and active sex lives. Some yoga poses are known to increase pelvic muscle strength, while others such as the cat pose help to loosen the spine for flexibility. The one legged pigeon helps to increase hips and flexibility and so on. All these pose work together to improve your sex life and help you enjoy sex more.
Low sex drive or low libidos are sexual problems that are as old as mankind itself, for which solutions have been posited by different cultures and practices around the world. The amazing thing is that we now live in a global community, which means the knowledge of almost the entire human race is now available at the tip of your fingers and can help make your life a lot better.